Government is a very large natural resources employer. Federal and State conservation careers often have two levels (technician and professional), each with their own career ladder.
Understanding the life-course of a career with a government agency can help you assess potential jobs. Do you want seasonal employment or a fulltime career? You need to know where each type of job category leads - to fulltime, year round work or is the job always going to be summer-seasonal work. It's up to you to do the research for your future.
Also, if you are looking to obtain a federal job you would benefit from visiting the excellent site at
The Resume Place before attempting to write your resume. It has abundant resources and great tips. It might be wise to check Salaries and Wages and gain more insight into the federal career process at GovExec.Com.
* Are you a Jobseeker with a disability? Check out our new section for Equal Opportunity Employment!
- Corporation for National Service
- Volunteering in America: The Corporation for National and Community Service engages Americans of all ages and backgrounds in service to help strengthen communities through AmeriCorps, Senior Corps, and Learn and Serve America. Sometimes a job is more than money.
- Peace Corps
- Life is calling, how far will you go? There is international needs for specialists in a variety of natural resource fields. If you are at a career crossroads it may be time to take the road less travelled.
- Jobs database with employment opportunities in Federal, Defense/Military, State, County, City, Public Works, Education, Recreation to Emergency Agencies as well as commercial companies and corporations engaged in government awarded programs.
- USA Jobs
- USA Office of Personnel Management has a one-stop-shop for federal job openings. It will help if you know the code or keyword for your chosen occupation.
- USA.Gov provides an extensive information about government employment as well as many other government-related topics.
- KSA Doctor
- Just a thought, if you are having trouble completing your federal applications, you might hire help like this or buy one of their sample documents to use as a guide. Fees may be involved for custom work. Also consider books written on the subject of writing KSA's that may be available through Amazon or other bookstores.
State Natural Resource Agencies and Job Sites
Most of the resource agencies do not directly post jobs on their sites, but may include links to current vacancies. Looking over their webs will give you insight into working conditions, critical issues, and more. Also, with every election government agencies tend to reinvent themselves, which may mean completely new websites, new urls, new department titles and new job titles. One state's 'Department of Natural Resources' is another state's 'Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources' or 'Department of Conservation'. There is no uniformity in agencies titles across the USA.
Often, more than one family member will be seeking a job while their partner follows a specific career path. State jobs sites often have civil service jobs while other states may post all jobs from within that state. If you are a two career family, then both need to look for work in the same town.
State natural resources departments often list their departmental openings at their state job web site. Different states have different rules about how they advertise their jobs. It pays to be persistent when job hunting.
If you have children, you'll also need to look at school locations, recreational facilities, educational opportunities. Everyone in the family needs to have opportunities or else all will eventually be unhappy.
- State Fish and Wildlife Agencies
- Locate conservation agencies by state. Some may post job listings on their sites.
- State Conservation Districts
- Check for conservation districts that are online at NACD. These local nonregulatory agencies often provide job opportunities connected to conservation activities.
- State and Local Government
- Links to state webs, county and city governments which often post jobs at their sites.
- Eastern Region County Jobs
- Local job boards for CT, NY, MA, and RI.
- Helping individuals find jobs in the public sector.
- Collection of jobs in county government from across the USA.