JOBS IN AGRICULTURE
Jobs in agriculture aren't just on the farm anymore. If you care passionately about dirt, plants, bugs, invasive species, and oodles of animals, there are all sorts of great opportunities to meet the food and fiber needs of our nation (and the world, too.)
Today's farmers use a wide variety of computer applications to conduct daily business. The internet provides a finger-tip research library on all types of agriculture topics from livestock health to soil maps. The conservation responsibilities of the Farmer is continually expanding with the needs to protect clean drinking water, slow soil eroision, and integrate wildlife habitat with farmland operations. Agricultural biotechnology is a growing field.
New careers are developing in the fields of organic agriculture, from pesticide-free orchards to grass-fed beef and free-range chicken production. Traditional farming is attracting a new generation of back-to-the land folks. Agriculture involves both big corporations and family farms, and it is international in scope.
All sorts of local, state, and federal agriculture and resources agencies plus a huge number of nonprofit organizations interact with farmers and livestock producers. Good stewardship is big business, and this provides a wide range of employment opportunities. You can expand your career search through the annotated links below.
SOURCES FOR JOBS IN AGRICULTURE
- Extensive job listings for careers in professional agriculture, food industries and biotechnologies.
- Science Societies Career Center
- The Career Center promotes and encourages opportunities in the agronomic, crop, soil, and environmental sciences and serves as a clearinghouse for resumes and job listings.
- Hansen Agri-Placement Service
- This is a commercial recruiter site showing a large number of agricultural jobs - dairy work, poultry, range, etc. Be sure to ask about any fees that may be involved, otherwise take a good look at the extensive variety of jobs. There is certainly a lot of opportunities out there for people with real-world ranching and farming experience.
- AgriSeek combines a worldwide news service with an interactive business directory and international online job market focusing on agriculture and related fields.
- NationJob Network
- Employment listings for careers in Agriculture, Biotech and Chemical industries.
- UC Davis Career Center
- Check out the Aggie job link.
- Elite Farmer
- Links and articles about farming and related subjects which includes Agricultural occupations and employment in the JObs-Employment section.
- American Science of Agronomy
- American Society of Agronomy has career resources. Listings are from a variety of agronomy occupations.
- Crop Science Society of America
- Listings are from a variety of plant science occupations.
- Soil Science Society of America
- Listings are from a variety of soil science occupations.
- Weed Science
- Lists permanent, term, postdoctoral, graduate student, summer positions in weed science as well as job swaps and industry related positions.
- Enology and Viticulture
- It's a short list, but if you are interested in wine and viticulture occupations, check it out.
- Horticulture Jobs
- Interested in plant nurseries, ornamentals, urban and community park work? Lots of private sector opportunities!
- USDA's Agricultural Research Service has some job opportunities. Note these are federal government jobs. Most are for existing government employees, but some are career transitional and a few will come up for new persons. Study the available information to help determine the codes (for gov jobs through OPM), then switch over to the USAJobs doorway. There is also information for the disabled applicant, foreign applicants and non-citizens.
- WA State Conservation Commission
- Try a job with a conservation district in Washington State! Generally, these are agriculture-related, but can include watershed management or similar fields of expertise.
- Botanical Society of America
- Career and employment opportunities for Botanists, microbiologists, plant genetics, plus research positions in educational institutions.
- Plant Pathology Careers
- American Phytopathological Society maintains a career center with listings in both industry and education including agricultural science, plant pathology, biological science positions. You can even sign up to get notified of new job announcements!
- Entomology Job Opportunities
- Professional entomologists positions, plus some other disciplines are shown. It's a short list and it is current.
- National Association of Conservation Districts no longer posts jobs, but volunteering for field work with a conservation district is a great way to get experience and vital contacts with natural resource employing agencies and companies. Find a district near you!
- American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers has employment listings and career resources for .... biological and agricultural engineering. There are quite a few listings, but watch the deadlines.
- University of California Agriculture
- Current Job vacancies are posted for agriculture and natural resources, predominately with Agricultural Cooperative Extension offices and Ag research.
- American Agricultural Economics Association
- AAEA Career Central is dedicated to helping agricultural economics professionals, students and employers connect.
- Society for Range Management
- SRM promotes productive, sustainable rangelands, and has jobs listings for range work, field projects, university positions and more.
- Interested in overseas agriculture? CNFA is dedicated to improving the lives of rural poor around the world. CNFA has numerous positions in agriculture beyond the borders of the United States.
* Volunteer for HELPING HANDS
...Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is pure,
whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable -
if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things..." (Philippians 4:8)
Page location: http://www.cyber-sierra.com/ copyright © Cyber-Sierra.Com