GET MORE EDUCATION & TRAINING
Sometimes you'll have to increase your skills level to obtain a job in natural resources or conservation occupations. Many colleges and universities are now offering online access to their science courses. Anyone with Internet access can advance their education and career opportunities.
If you are entering an environmental profession, then be prepared for life-long learning. Getting a degree is just the beginning. Many resources professions require regular educational updates, certifications or attendance at field seminars. Usually if your are a 'professional' you'll be joining an appropriate organization which will host annual courses in your chosen field. Whether your target is forestry, wildlife or watersheds, you'll need to continously improve your skills to stay current.
Below is a sampling of the growing number of www educational opportunities. Note that some classes are 'Open Course' meaning you are auditing the classes - no credit towards a diploma. Other courses (with fees) can lead to environmental and science degrees, diplomas, and specialist certifications like 'Arborist'.
Be sure to check your discipline's professional societies, which often have their own certification programs.
* Are you a Jobseeker with a disability? Check out our new section for Equal Opportunity Employment!
- Forestry Degree and Fire Science Programs
- Forestry degree and certificate programs help prepare students for careers in non-profit organizations, governmental land management and environmental agencies, colleges, consulting groups and timber products firms.
- Forestry and Fire Science California
- The state needs a robust and diverse network of firefighters, fire investigators, fire inspectors and first responders. If you want to fight fire in California, why not get trained in California.
- US Forestry Schools
- Index of links to many of the schools and university departments that offer forestry as a program in the USA.
- Fisheries Schools
- Index of links to many of the schools and university departments that offer fisheries as a program in the US.
- Education Database Online
- If you scroll to the bottom of the page you will find categories like forestry and wildlife. That will lead you to the schools that offer degrees or training on those specialties.
- Canadian Forestry Schools
- Exhaustive list of Canadian academic institutions that have a forestry degree program.
- USDA Aglearn
- The Agriculture Learning (AgLearn) Service provides educational services for USDA federal employees, contractors, partners and customers. Learn more of the details at the web site. Over 2500 courses are offered. If you are a current employee of USDA or want to become a Technical Service Provider, then be sure to take advantage of this opportunity.
- Online College Database
- A complete guide to distance learning for all types of higher education.
- Online College Database - Students with Disabilities
- A complete guide to distance learning for students with disabilities. Learn how to work with disability services, employ assistive technology, evaluate online programs, and succeed in the virtual classroom.
- Forest Pathology
- A college level online course/textbook in tree pathology from the State University of New York, College of Environmental Science and Forestry. It appears to be free.
- MIT's OpenCourseWare
- If you are just in quest of knowledge and not a certificate or degree, MIT offers a free and open educational resource for faculty, students, and self-learners around the world. Excellent! Anybody with internet access can get a free education!
- Open Course Consortium
- Free and open educational resource for faculty, students, and self-learners!
- California Virtual Campus
- Accredited public and private California universities offer more than 4,000 online courses open to students through the World Wide Web. To find a course, visit the online course catalog. There may be fees involved for credit courses. Look for science, natural resources or environmental courses.
- Classes USA
- Get a degree through an accredited college, learning online. Fees are involved in most offerings.
- Distance Learning
- One of the oldest webs related to distance learning, check out the possibilities. You may have to do some searching to find a topic related to conservation.
- SAF Certified Forester
- Learn about certification from Society of American Foresters.
Other Educational Sources
As the economy begins to focus on new careers in green industires, there will be a number of private educational opportunities for retraining. Like most schools and vocational training opportunities, there are costs involved.
- A great guide to everything you need to know about starting your career as an Environmental Scientist.
- Environmental Science Degrees
- Students can find information about Environmental Science degree programs across the country.
- Plant Biology Conservation
- Program in Plant Biology and Conservation is a collaboration between Northwestern University and the Chicago Botanic Garden.
- GeologyDegree is site dedicated to providing useful guides and resources on geology degrees.
* Volunteer for HELPING HANDS
...Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is pure,
whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable -
if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things..." (Philippians 4:8)
Page location: http://www.cyber-sierra.com/ copyright © Cyber-Sierra.Com